Saturday, October 16, 2010

Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Another “must see”. We had two reasons to come to Montrose.
#1: to visit my friend, SewCrazyGurl, and her husband, Rocky. SewCrazyGurl and I started hanging out when she came to me for sewing lessons when she was 7. My bio-daughter, Bug, was happy to see her come because it took a lot of pressure off Bug to sew with me. I call SewCrazyGurl the “daughter of my heart”. She got married last fall and I was fortunate enough to get to come to Montrose to make her wedding gown and go to the ceremony. What fun!
#2: to see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. A “must add” to your bucket list.



The Black Canyon is about 2000’ deep and very narrow. It is not called the Black Canyon because the rocks are black, although they are, but because the canyon is so deep and narrow that the sun hardly hits the bottom. We thought the canyon was much smaller than it actually is until we saw the climbers on the rock on the other side. They were so TINY. Perspective means everything. Running through the black rock are fissures of white rock. This is igneous rock that forced its way up through cracks in the original rock. It is harder and so does not wear away as fast so there are these fabulous spires and ridges sticking up all over the place. You have got to see it to believe it. SewCrazyGurl and Rocky were with us so Bear had someone to incite him into hanging over edges that on his own he would never have approached. SewCrazyGurl and I had to just turn our backs in places – it was too much to watch.

Dollars saved on this trip with Park Pass: $126 + 15 = $141.00

No comments:

Post a Comment